UNSC Statement on Libyan detention
Minister for Foreign Affairs, Senator Bob Carr today welcomed United Nations Security Council support for the release of International Criminal Court lawyers detained in Libya, including Australian lawyer Melinda Taylor.
The UNSC statement was issued overnight (June 16 AEST) from New York:
“The members of the Security Council express serious concern over the detention in Libya since 7 June 2012 of the International Criminal Court (ICC) staff members, and urge Libyan authorities at all levels and all concerned to work towards immediate release of all the ICC staff members.
The members of the Security Council emphasize that it is the legal obligation of Libya under the Council’s resolution 1970 (2011) to cooperate fully with and provide any necessary assistance to the ICC pursuant to that resolution.”
Senator Carr said he had also raised Melinda Taylor’s detention in talks with French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius, and British Foreign Secretary William Hague over the last 24 hours.
“I’m heartened at the strong international support for a swift resolution in this matter,” Senator Carr said.
“The Taylor case remains very much at the forefront of our diplomatic efforts.”
“Our Ambassador is working closely with his international counterparts, with the ICC and with Libyan authorities to seek full consular access to Ms Taylor and a swift end to her detention.”
Senator Carr said he had previously raised Ms Taylor’s matter directly with international representatives including the Foreign Ministers of Oman, Saudi Arabia and the UAE, the UK Ambassador to Libya Dominic Asquith, ICC President Judge Song, and Libyan Deputy Foreign Minister Aziz.
He had also spoken again with Ms Taylor’s husband, Geoff Roberts.
“We’re cautious about commenting on the nature of the allegations against Ms Taylor and her colleagues.
“But we remain committed to making every effort to support Ms Taylor, and to seek her release.”